Skip to content

Ceremonies with Sylvie
Celebrate in Style

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to do first?
Book the celebrant as soon as you know the date, time and location of your wedding.

How much notice do you, the celebrant need prior to the wedding?
The Marriage Act requires that you lodge a “Notice of Intended Marriage” form with your celebrant, at least one calendar month before the wedding.

How do I sign the register and marriage certificate?
The bride signs all certificates and forms with her maiden name or if divorced or widowed, previous married name.

How long does the ceremony take?
Depending on the content, a short ceremony would be 15-20 minutes and a longer ceremony anywhere from 20 -45 mins.

Can I have my children give me away?
Anyone can 'give the bride away', including children.

How much does a celebrant charge for a wedding ceremony?
Fees vary from celebrant to celebrant, but be aware that professional celebrants will put quite an amount of work into your ceremony and will require you to pay them accordingly.

However, choosing the perfect celebrant for you is definitely one wedding decision that shouldn’t be based on price. Contact me to discuss your requirements and budget.

Where do celebrants perform ceremonies?
In all locations throughout the state and the country but of course the more travel and the greater amount of time involved, the costs will increase accordingly.

As I come from overseas, can I have cultural aspects built into my ceremony?
You most certainly can. The Marriage Act is specific about the necessary content that is required to be included in your ceremony and provided that they are in your ceremony all other content is open to your specific requirements.

We are visiting from overseas and want to get married in Australia, can we do this?
Regardless of your nationality, you are more than welcome to be married in our beautiful country. There is no residency qualification required and the only requirements are that you are over 18 years of age and free to marry.

There is no reason why your marriage in Australia cannot be recognised in your homeland but some European countries require your Marriage Certificate to have an Apostille or Authentication. I can explain this and also organise this for you.

How do I change my name?
Name change is a personal choice, with around 85% of Australian brides still choosing to take their husband’s name. First order your marriage certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages, then contact each company directly to make the change.