Skip to content

Ceremonies with Sylvie
Celebrate in Style

Legal Requirements before the Marriage

The couple must give notice of the intended marriage by completing a Notice of Intended Marriage form, getting your signatures witnessed by an authorized person (Celebrant or other) and lodging this form with the celebrant no less than one month before the wedding day.

Click here to download the Notice of Intended Marriage form.

The law requires that you provide the following documents to the Celebrant.

  • Your birth certificate if you are Australian born. The original birth certificate or extract is required.
  • If born outside Australia you are required to show your birth certificate translated into English or passport from your country of birth.
  • If either of you have previously been married you will have to produce your Divorce Decree Absolute papers
  • If either of your spouses are deceased, you must produce the Death Certificate.

The marrying couple must be over18 years of age and free to marry.

All legal obligations for the marriage itself will be attended to by the celebrant.